Saturday, March 1, 2008

On Education.

The modern world and the so called modern educated people often judge a person in terms of formal education. The one with the most degrees and certificates is thought to be a learned, wise one while the not so educated are looked down upon.

Reflecting deep, the question arises is… Is it the degree and the certificates signifies education or is it the values instilled, attitude and mindset do?

The other day I was having a cup of tea at a local tapri(tea stall) while on my office break. As I stood there sipping tea engrossed in deep thought over the vagaries of life, I chanced to set my eyes upon a Labourer who had come to the stall to buy a cup of tea for him and his little 5 year old son. They were very meagrely dressed, with their clothes soiled and the father’s forehead gleaming with the hard earned sweat.

I observed that the little child finished his tea before the father, and went curiously for the neared dustbin available. He crumbled the paper cup very gracefully and put it inside the Dustbin, as the father kept a watchful eye.

Though the act may sound very ordinary, yet it was so uncommon and refreshingly surprising. Now here was a little child who might not have even started going to school and yet he displayed a level of the highest education. The civil sense that he displayed was remarkable against a backdrop of the hordes of so called educated people I see at the very same place littering the place.

Man, I salute the child and his father, both. Child for being such a responsible citizen so early in life and the father for having imbibed such values in the child. May the lord bless them and give them the joy, happiness and comfort that they deserve.

Small wonder, isn’t he? Educated without going to school, isn’t he?

No comments: